Friday, September 4, 2026

Friday Night Magic Commander Night - September 4th, 2026

 Tonight I was back for another night of Commander, which was a good thing as I had finished putting together a new deck and wanted to give it a few test runs.

Two other players joined me, giving us a pod of three for one game, and then another player joined us after our first bringing us up to a pod of 4 players for the rest of the night.

Cloud, Midgar Mercenary

The deck I played for both the first game of the night, with three players, and for our second game once we bumped ourselves up to a pod of 4, and the deck that I came out wanting to put through some paces tonight.

In the first game, I ran afoul of having too many of my more expensive cards in-hand, plus having an overzealous Oveka player decide that most anything I tried to do was going to eat either a counter or, in one case, a Commandeer, meaning that while the deck still managed to function, it was definitely less functional than it could have been. Eventually, I was overrun severely by Bard, King of Dale and the horde of Humans that his player was helming.

In the second, where we added the Arkenstone Emblem from tonight's "Heart of the Mountain" Commander event, it ran much more smoothly, even while myself and two other players were beating each other senseless over the Emblem. No Blue players meant that the deck didn't eat every counterspell available, and a few good pieces of Equipment, including the Buster Sword, meant I was able to get some incredibly solid value from him swinging.

Eventually, I took the win off of the alternate wincon, though by that point two of the other three players were eliminated and I was likely going to win via combat pretty handily regardless.

As this is the deck I was most looking forward to trying out tonight, I am incredibly pumped that it actually did work out incredibly well, maybe not exactly the way I was hoping to, but close enough that I think the deck will be well worth bringing around often for Commander Nights. I could, feasibly, bump it up to a Bracket 3 list if I wanted to try to nab a few of my Game Changers from other decks - I've been surprisingly tempted to take Teferi's Protection and Smothering Tithe out of my Winota deck, for instance, though I lack good replacements for them - but where it currently stands is still pretty solid in my opinion. It's a deck I would probably feel comfortable playing against Bracket 3 lists, though once we start getting into "high power" gameplay in Bracket 4, let alone cEDH/Bracket 5, that's where I think it drops off hard.

Winota, Joiner of Forces

For our third game of the night, I played my Winota list, and it was... a severe power mismatch. One other player was playing The Ur-Dragon and I was expecting a much more dangerous list than what actually got played. Everybody else scooped after I had two rounds of incredibly potent Winota triggers, taking us to our fourth and what wound up final game.

The Wandering Minstrel

And for that fourth game, I played The Wandering Minstrel, a deck I haven't shuffled up in what feels like ages. The deck didn't exactly run the way I would've liked it to, as I saw precious few creatures and almost none of the Enchantments that improve my tokens in any way.

While I was beaten into the dirt by Bello with a little assistance from The Ur-Dragon, Oveka was incredibly mana screwed and was a non-entity during the game. Eventually, Bello and a bevy of buffed up Artifacts overran us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Friday Night Magic Commander Night - September 4th, 2026

 Tonight I was back for another night of Commander, which was a good thing as I had finished putting together a new deck and wanted to give ...