Monday, August 24, 2026

Final Fantasy TCG Locals - August 24th, 2026

Another Monday, another night of FFTCG. With only four people showing up, tonight's FFTCG only barely fired, but it fired nonetheless.

Still wanting more practice with the deck, I shuffled up my Ice/Wind Crystals tonight. Four players meant we ran a quick, casual round-robin style event.

Round 1 vs Three-Color Warriors - Win

The newest player of the playgroup still, they made a bit of a misplay on Turn 1. They had misread Larsa and assumed they could only grab a Forward of Cost 4 with it, meaning they went to grab a Clive instead of the somewhat more useful option of grabbing a Taivas, who could've set them up more effectively. Unfortunately for them, I played a Yazoo to dull-freeze Clive.

While they were able to prime Clive into an Ifrit the next turn and remove Yazoo, I was able to play a Kadaj to bounce the Eikon and, with two Remnants in my Break Zone, force them to discard. They were soon enough left relying on their top-decks thanks to Kadaj's ability, and I was able to take control over the game.

Round 2 vs Mages - Win

This deck was so cool. Without going heavily into detail (I'm aware I don't have a huge following, but just in case, I don't want to give out too many of the deck's tricks; well, too many of the ones I could even remember, at least) it made rather effective use of the new Mages from Blissful Eternity at the heart of a control shell.

And boy oh boy did the deck hold up well. Going through the list of things I used against my opponent this game, they pointed out the way that they fought against a Marche, the Remnants, two Yuffies, and a few other of the typical powerhouse cards in the Ice/Wind Crystal suite.

I still took the win in the end, but they made me work for it.

Round 3 vs Sky-Pirates - Win, then Lose

So in the first game we played, my opponent played two Backups and had two cards left in hand at the end of the turn. On my turn, I overpaid to play a Yazoo - removing a Loz from my Break Zone that I had used to pay for it - and then overpaid to play a Kadaj - again, removing a Loz that I had used to pay. This gave me a total of 4 Crystals. I dull-froze their Filo Backup, Kadaj made them discard the last two cards in their hand, and then they scooped.

So we shuffled up for a second game and things went drastically differently, among other things that I didn't have any Remnants available to make use of their abilities. They also had a much more conservative turn 1, playing only one backup, which on turn 2 was followed up by a 7-drop Vaan that got them a Fran, Balthier, and Penelo, immediately dropping a full board of Forwards onto the table. They took the win only a couple of turns later, as there wasn't enough I could do to stop them.

Conclusion

This deck is so weird, almost inconsistent, but fun all the same.

My second game with the Sky Pirates player was a good example of what happens to me when I don't actually get any of my Crystal payoffs, as between the lack of payoffs and my opponent's Penelo being more than able to cancel my auto-abilities which made me hesitant to play the Seymour I had in my hand for much and more of the game, I didn't really feel like I got to actually play much that game.

Though I guess with how our first game had went, I suppose that's a bit of fair turnabout. Which is a little impressive, given how poor I thought my opening hand was after I had taken the mulligan.

I digress. I do think I'm getting more accustomed to how the deck plays, though I've still got a ways to go before I can really consider myself good with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Fantasy TCG Locals - August 24th, 2026

Another Monday, another night of FFTCG. With only four people showing up, tonight's FFTCG only barely  fired, but it fired nonetheless. ...