Friday, August 7, 2026

Friday Night Magic Commander Night - August 7th, 2026

 Another night of Commander at the card shop. I got in with a group of folks that I've played with before, though most nights they already have a "full" pod, so it's been some time since I've gotten the opportunity to play alongside them.

The shop was packed for The Hobbit prerelease, so there were comparatively few Commander players out. With the group of folks I played with, we got through three games, one with a group of four, and then we had a fifth hop in for the other two. Given the layout of the table we were playing at, it was actually shockingly easy to keep track of everything despite having the fifth person.

I admit that detail for these is going to be lacking. It was storming fiercely when I left the shop, so a lot of my focus was on getting safely home, and I hadn't taken down a lot of notes about each game and how my decks were operating.

Game 1 - Saheeli, Radiant Creator

For the first game of the night, and our only four-person game, I pulled out my Saheeli deck. I haven't played it in a while, and I just sort of wanted to.

The game was one where we all kind of got to "do our thing" a little bit, though I didn't really feel like I got to do as much of "my thing" as I would've liked due to somewhat limited resources. Not so limited I couldn't do anything, but limited enough to keep me from making a significant impact on the game.

Meanwhile, the Edgar Markov beside me didn't have quite the same issue, and the vampire deck ran over the rest of us.

Game 2 - Yuna, Grand Summoner

The game where I played the least amount of Magic. I had Yuna, a couple of other mana dorks, a few solid Summons to swing into the field, and O'aka as a draw engine...

And then a board wipe hit the field, and I wasn't able to draw into enough replacements to really get back into the game.

Game 3 - Bartz Klauser (Winota, Joiner of Forces)

And for our third and final game of the night, I pulled out my Winota deck, which just got a couple of small upgrades added to it recently from some singles I received.

I had a resoundingly powerful first few turns, dropping in a handful of Goblins, including General Kreat, and throwing around a couple of points of damage before I played Winota on turn 4. With General Kreat, the Fanatical Firebrand, and the Token that General Kreat had made on turn 3, I had three Winota Triggers immediately, which saw me drop in Alexios, Minwu/Mangara, and Greymond.

Alexios got through one of my opponent's turn before he ate a Deadly Rollick. And then a Toxic Deluge hit the field and wiped out the board, setting almost everyone back significantly - except the Y'shtola player, who had saved their board with a Teferi's Protection.

Over the next several turns, the rest of us worked together to try to take the Y'shtola player down, as they built up a dangerous lead thanks to their board being the only one to survive the Deluge. An Ethersworn Canonist tried to keep things in check, though Delney, Streetwise Lookout kept the Y'shtola player running well, especially with a Curiosity on the catgirl that provided a ton of card draw on top of her own ability. With my Bartz/Winota getting counterspelled when I made my only other possible opportunity to play her, I was stuck playing without my Commander and the ability that actually makes the deck operate the way it's supposed to.

Eventually we took out the Y'shtola, but the three of us who survived the matter were all down to around 3 life points each. I made the decision to play "kingmaker" and take one of the other players before getting overrun by the last remaining opponent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Fantasy TCG Locals - September 21st, 2026

 After  Labor Day  meant I missed out on FFTCG two weeks ago, I was able to make my way back out to the card shop today for, well, more FFTC...